The Uxbridge Lido opened in a fanfare of publicity in 1935 with the approach road, sewers, drains, car park, filter house and filtration plant, tea room, dressing boxes, sunbathing terraces and administration buildings costing a grand total of £24,500. As part of the opening ceremony, the London Borough of Hillingdon organised an exhibition of modern speed swimming, a display of spingboard diving and an exhibition of figure floating.
After a series of closures, the Lido finally closed its doors 1998 due to costly damage and campaigns were launched immediately to return the Lido to its former glory. The Lido is Grade-II listed and is the only remaining twelve-sided, or 'star', swimming pool left in the UK.
The re-development of this site is substantial with a cost of around £25 million and represents the first new 50-metre pool to be constructed in London for over forty years. The Lido has been fully refurbished, offering a 50-metre swimming pool, leisure/kids pools, an additional indoor 50-metre pool - which incorporates moveable floors and bulkheads - and an indoor leisure pool.
B+W was contracted by Leadbitter Construction to provide all new filtration and water treatment systems, incorporating ultra-violet treatment to cope with the bather loads expected on the UK's sunniest days.