The Carnegie Leisure Centre was the first gift to the people of Dunfermline from Andrew Carnegie the world famous multi-millionaire who was born and raised in the town.
The Centre opened in 1905 and incorporated a 25 yard swimming pool which has been in daily use until its demolition last year as part of a £17M upgrade. The facility had also undergone a major extension in the early eighties with 25m pool and learner pools added with filtration plants installed by Barr + Wray.
The original pool has been replaced with a modular 25m 6 lane Myrtha Stainless Steel Pool with a full moveable floor. The pool is constructed within the 14 original cast iron columns which support the arch-shaped steel roof, this structure being key to the facilities Grade B listed status.
B+W’s £1.3M contract included for the construction of the new Myrtha Pool, installation of the Malmsten Aqualevel screwjack moveable floor together with 4 new filtration and water treatment plants for both 25m pools, learner pool and spa pool each incorporating Ultra Violet sterilisation.
B+W is also responsible for the installation of the pre-fabricated sectional balance tanks, backwash tank & replacement of the water softening system.