The Carnegie Leisure Centre was the first gift to the people of
Dunfermline from Andrew Carnegie, the world famous multi-millionaire who
was born and raised in the town. The Centre opened in 1905 and
incorporated a 25 yard swimming pool which has been in daily use until
its demolition last year as part of a £17M upgrade. The facility had
also undergone a major extension in the early eighties with 25m pool and
learner pools added with filtration plants installed by B+W.
The original pool has been replaced with a modular 25m 6 lane Myrtha stainless steel pool with a full movable floor. The pool is
constructed within the 14 original cast iron columns which support the
arch-shaped steel roof, this structure being key to the facilities Grade
B listed status.
B+W’s £1.3M contract included for the construction of the new Myrtha pool, installation of the Malmsten Aqualevel screwjack movable floor
together with 4 new filtration and water treatment plants for both 25m
pools, learner pool and spa pool each incorporating ultra violet
B+W is also responsible for the installation of the pre-fabricated
sectional balance tanks, backwash tank & replacement of the water